Experiment of the Month
Prior MonthsAugust 2013
Air Pressure Magic
The air all around us can help you perform a magic trick that will make your friend think you have amazing powers.
- a glass with a smooth rim
- an index card that covers the opening of the glass.
- Do this experiment over a sink or wash tub. Fill the lass partly with water.
- Place an index card over the opening of the glass.
- Holding the index card in place, turn the glass upside down.
- Remove your hand from the index card.
If you have done the experiment correctly, the index card will stay in place over the mouth of the glass and the water will NOT pour out. The upward pressure of the air holds the index card in place.